Stuff & Things
I know I’ve been MIA for a long time, but my excuse is love.
That’s right, I’ve been love-drunk for months.
I met this sweet, caring, man 2 months ago and he has changed my world for the better. He inspires me and encourages me every day.
He has even helped to up my coffee game! I have an aeropress and an electric kettle now. Mornings are sweeter now.
Anywho…I am making art, making love, making a mess…We go for walks and bike rides and we want to go camping when it gets warm.
We are very happy right now.
…a la Effy Wild
1) My nephew is my new roomate and he is amazing! He’s 20 and getting set to go to EMT school. He reminds me to eat breakfast (as in, more than coffee) and is so encouraging and willing. Emily likes him too, mostly.
2) Emily is my best friend. She follows me from room to room, talking to me when she feels the need…
3) I’m good at my job and don’t have plans to change careers, but I am currently BORED. I’ll be heading to a librarian conference just before Halloween and they have always reinvigorated my enthusiasm in the past, so I hope it will work that way again this time…besides, I’ll get to see my prison people there.
4) I am now working on 2 books, the original book of poems and songs will be illustrated by me, and I am moving along on this even though each spread is twice as large as I’m used to working with…also…
5) I am transcribing my author’s other book as well. I edit. I am an editor, but right now it’s just typing.
6) I’m going to see a new-to-me psychiatrist on Thursday. I have a therapist I see on the regular, but I need to have a psych monitor my anti-depressants. He called me back personally to setup the appointment and he sounds great. We shall see…
7) Although I’m not “afraid” of the dentist, I haven’t been to one in a dozen years, mostly because of the pain I went through back in 2007. In my experience and opinion, the only thing worse than tooth pain is passing a kidney stone. I have an appointment a week from Friday. Go me.
8) Going to the gym is good for me and I’m enjoying going, thank coffee, because I’d hate to have to keep doing something I loathe.
9) Working on clearing all the extraneous crap out of my apartment is a long term project, but every load I remove from the place makes me feel better, and makes more room for my nephew and me.
10) I’m making my favorite chicken vegetable soup in the crock pot and it’s making my place smell like heaven…want some?
…most every day you’ll find me sat or sprawled out here on my giant chair with Emily setting the tone for the moment (generally on top of me)…
See, I go out and I socialize with the peoples, to varying degrees of success, then I come home wiped.
Then I chill here with my girl.
Then I go paint on something until I feel better…
The things we do every day form our lives.
I drive 1 (one) mile home for lunch most days.
1) I get away from the peopling I have to do for work
2) I spend time with Emily (who loves my company)
3) I generally make time to work on some art.
I can throw some paint down in many different places, on different surfaces then walk away as it needs to dry and I have to head back to the library…because SOMEONE has to earn the money for the kibble, amiright Emily?
So…back into the fray…
…without my own father, Rob Roy Wirt.
I was Daddy’s girl, as much as a small-town, free-range white kid in central California could be, and I had my Dad for 19 years only.
But that doesn’t matter…I can close my eyes and see my dad standing in our kitchen, cooking his steak, whistling, or telling me stories, or singing to me…
See, I remember him and think of him most every day. I remember every story my cousins told me about how my Dad was the coolest Uncle many years before I was born.
I know about how, when he was 19, after Pearl Harbor, he had to eat bananas and cream for 2 weeks to make weight to enlist.
I know he met my Mom when my oldest Brother was a baby and how he always wanted a little girl.
And I have three older brothers, two of whom are fathers themselves. Unlike with the women in my life, there haven’t been many men who have tried to be father figures to me…I had a stepfather for a time and he was nice enough…but the constant males in my life have been/are my brothers. Each one of them has stepped up for me at some time in my life, they are the best men that I know, and I am blessed and lucky that they are MY Brothers…my Brohim.
We all miss Dad in our own ways…the fact of his absence just hits harder some days, for me.
My memories are what I have now…
“And I know you’re a part of me
And it’s your song that sets me free
I sing it while I feel, I can’t hold on
I sing tonight cause it comforts me
I’m glad it sets you free from sorrow
But I’ll still love you more tomorrow
And you’ll be here with me still
All you did you did with feeling
And you always found a meaning
And you always will”
– Alter Bridge
…and it’s basically my “Friday” night. I did the just work of the library, went to the gym (why is it always arm day?) and am now sat on my queen chair with Emily on my lap, and she is insisting that I do not move from here.
My coworker/gym partner/friend and podcaster, Sabrina (of Sabrina Monet.com) and me!
I want to paint…I took out the trash because it smelled like hair color remover (worse than a perm) and I have a renowned capacity to ignore dirty dishes, so I will sit here for a while longer (for Emily, you know…) then paint in my journals, like this:
or in my Book Of Days, like this:
Or on my new canvas, like this:
OR on one of the illustrations for my friend’s book of songs:
…so the options are open…hmm….
Welp…since I’m meeting with the author tomorrow, that decides it…
I’ll eat my leftover pizza salad (you don’t know pizza salad?! Get thee to MOD Pizza) and listen to my girl’s podcast while I make the art…have a great weekend!